My Favorite Things | September 2014

Hey Friends and Family!

All the things I've loved this month:


Bath and Body Works Candle: Eucalyptus Spearmint

I am so obsessed with this candle, I've almost burnt the whole thing! I got it when I was stressing out a lot and it's surprisingly relaxing. It smells like a fancy hair salon but the best benefit is that it helps neutralize the smell of sharing a bathroom with Andrew.

***


Birkenstocks

I've actually had these shoes for a few months now, but I wanted to break them in before I decided whether or not I like them. Well, the verdict is in: I am in love! They are insanely comfortable, they mold to my feet, and I think they'll be great to have in South Africa since I can walk in them for hours without discomfort. The style I got is called Mayari and they were $89.95 (I got the faux-leather kind - the real leather would be around $120).

***

Knitting
*No picture because all the scarfs are gifts and I can't ruin the surprise :-D

I've always loved knitting but recently I've been on a huge knitting kick. Since I buy yarn all the time with the intention of making a new scarf, I've built up quite the yarn collection. I want to use it all before I leave for South Africa so it doesn't go to waste, which means I am knitting A LOT.

***


Starbuck Venti Iced Green Tea

Whenever I go to Starbucks, I usually get an iced latte of some sort, but I am trying to save money and lattes are black holes for money, so for the past couple of weeks iced tea has been my go-to Starbucks drink (and yes, those cost money too, but it's a step in the right direction haha). And in the Naples humidity, it's a must.

***

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
*No picture because I ate all the cookies. Oops

Chocolate chip cookies are my mom's specialty, but I decided to put my own spin on them and add oatmeal (not like it's never been done before...) and it's delicious! I love the added texture and the oatmeal makes them seem just a tad bit healthier so I don't feel as guilty going for a second (or third) cookie.

Here's the recipe I use:
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
Mix ingredients and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

***


HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER

First of all, Dean Thomas has graduated from Hogwarts and started as a law student in America. On top of all that, Dean has adopted an American accent and new identity to keep all his fans at bay (obviously). That's enough of a reason to watch even without the intriguing plot, great script, and amazing Viola Davis. I've only seen the pilot but I'm on the fast track to addiction.

***

P.S. I would like to wish the happiest of birthdays to Kristen Shaw, my best friend from Clayton High School. I hope you have an amazing day and I can't wait to see you and celebrate in person!! <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health in the Peace Corps

Meet Ginger: An African Village Dog

Do I contribute to the "African Stereotype"?